Sunday, May 07, 2006

apple vs. pc

Last fall I purchased an Apple G5. It has dual 1.8GHz processors, 160GB HDD (internal), 200GB HDD (external firewire), 2GB DDR SDRAM.


Why is it that Apple computers are so much more efficient than PC's? I know my PC is old- bought brand-new in '99. It has a P3 500MHz chip with 384MB RAM. The video card has 1/3 the RAM the PC has. How sad is that for my PC? The RAM is maxed out on the motherboard. I know how to maintain a PC & everything like that, but it just pales in comparison to the G5. No PC I have ever used boots up as fast, runs as smooth, and performs near as clean as my G5 does. If it was not for the fact that I need to stay up on PC's so that I can help my friends & family with problems, questions, etc... and for the fact that I rather surf on my PC than my Apple, I would drop the PC altogether.


That leads me to this- sometime this fall, hopefully in October, I will be purchasing my first laptop. I received a coupon from Dell (that expired) for 25% off of a laptop purchase even in the refurb area! This meant if I had the cash I could have bought a $419 laptop for only $314! How crazy is that?!?! All I want is a laptop that I can surf with. I won't do any graphics or any gaming with it, so there is no need for a killer machine. That's what I have my G5 for- graphics, video, editing, music, etc... and that is what I will eventually have an Xbox 360 for- gaming. I just want a laptop so I can have an all-in-one Internet computer that will not take up any desk space. I am tired of having to unplug the monitor, having two keyboards and two mice cluttering up my desk. I would much rather have a computer that I can effortlessly move around, take with me when it comes time to do things outside of my apt, etc... it would just be too convenient to have. The reason I want to wait until this fall is two-fold:
1. Need to tend to my transmission first.
2. Want to make sure that the laptop will be Vista compatible. I know that sounds geeky, but I need to stay on top of the Windows operating system for helping out friends & family who may have it.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

laptops rule.
get it.

Tab said...

Oh, I am getting a laptop, woman. I just have to wait until this fall- damn it!