Sunday, November 26, 2006

repetitiveness is my job

I was supposed to go celebrate a very close friend of mine's 35th bday (her husband rented a limo for everyone). I think she turns 35. Anyway, I stayed late Friday working 6:30am-9pm to help make me getting to her celebration a possibility. Coupled with the fact that I had decided to go in Sunday, I had it all planned out. Well, as it turned out the VHS tape had a flaw in it, so all my hard work went for naught and I might as well have not worked late Friday.
About 1hr and 41mins into said tape, I noticed a huge glitch in the playback. Great. Now, I had to redo that entire tape since I could not confirm that there was not any other glitches in it. I had just happened to have that catch my eye while I was running the other part of this 5,555 foot project for someone out of state. Being the honest person I try to be, I just could not turn a blind eye to it. I knew it existed. I saw it happen. I could not, in good conscience, give that back to our customer. It would have eaten me alive and I would have felt like crap. So, I called her up immediately and gave her the bad news. I felt awful. But, she was very understanding & knows what my job demands of me.
I worked yesterday from 9:30am-9:30pm getting that order fixed and completed so I would not be behind when I go in today immediately after church. If it were not for being closed Thursday, I would be working from Monday (11/20) through Friday (12/1)- at least 12 straight days. I may have to also end up working Sat (12/2). My office is now my home-away-from-home.
Please do not get me wrong. I am not complaining in the least. I know working all this overtime comes at a cost, but the paychecks are nice to receive. I hate that I become difficult to spend time with, but that is the nature of my business and everyone who knows me knows that this time of year, and the beginning of the new year, are when I am at my busiest and work takes up the majority of my life. It wasn't as bad last year, but this time around I am going solo. It is just me running things as I have no assistant. I was about to, but plans fell through on that. All I ask is everyone be patient with me and understand that this is the way things are, and will be for the next 10 weeks or so. I will have Christmas Day off and that is all I can guarantee. I cannot even guarantee I will not be in the office come New Year's Day. It's all gonna depend on how things go and how many days a week I work. I can already tell you this- this week and next week, I may have Sunday, Dec 3rd off.

No comments: